SmarterMeasure is housed on dedicated servers in a secure, high powered, redundant datacenter faculty which is located in Birmingham, AL. The datacenter is monitored and supported by a group of onsite network administrators 7 days-a-week, 24 hours-a-day, 365 days-a-year. SmarterMeasure utilizes both automated network monitoring as well as human intervention and oversight to keep data secured.
Infrastructure Features At A Glance
- Located in a 8,000+ sq. ft. faculty located in Birmingham, AL
- Connectivity to multiple Tier-1 redundant networks.
- Fully redundant network using Cisco equipment to sure the best performance and availability
- Redundant power to our servers and racks backed up primarily by a redundant UPS system and secondarily by redundant diesel generators.
- Redundant HVAC system to maintain the appropriate temperature and humidity levels.
- Automated Fire control and suppressant.
- Secure access to the facility and equipment by unique key card and biometric scans along with key combinations into the physical racks.
- SAS 70 certified by multiple independent firms.
- Around the clock monitoring and error notifications.
Physical security is considered equally as important as our network security infrastructure. Our data center has been designed to prevent unauthorized access, theft, fire and other physical threats. It is monitored 24/7 using biometric technology, IP based surveillance systems, and a physical alarm system.
Physical access into the Data Center is restricted to authorized personnel and escorted guests. Access into the Data Center requires an authenticated key card in addition to a biometric lock and key combination. All access is logged and audited on a regular basis.
Network and Server Security
The Data Center utilizes both automated network monitoring as well as human intervention and oversight by its Data Center personnel. The facility is under a 24/7 IP surveillance system with video archiving.
The 24/7 system monitors services, systems and connectivity. Alerts are sent to Data Center personnel on an escalating basis upon detection of anomalous behavior by the network security systems. We utilize a combination of Cisco and open source technologies to monitor network and server activity.
All of the servers we deploy use a hardened Microsoft Windows Server configuration. All Microsoft updates and security patches are evaluated, tested and installed on all servers. Additionally, our servers are protected with Symantec Enterprise antivirus and malware software.
Using a fully load-balanced BGP implementation in an all Cisco network infrastructure, reliability and performance are primary design features. The Data Center has connectivity through multiple Tier 1 and Tier 2 fiber connected upstream providers with an abundance of available bandwidth. The Datacenter has multiple OC12s and we continue to add Tier 1 connections and providers to ensure an excess of bandwidth.
Power and Redundancy
Power and redundancy are key components in the Data Center. The Data Center has the follow items in place for reliable operation:
- Diesel Powered Caterpillar Generators
- 2,000 Gallon Double-Walled Diesel Fuel Tank
- Redundant Liebert UPS and Power Systems
- Redundant Liebert Digital Scroll Air Conditioning Systems
- Halon Fire Suppression
- Cisco Network Infrastructure with Hot Spares
The Data Center completes two independent SAS 70 audit on a 6 month basis. The Statement on Auditing Standards (SAS) No. 70 is an internationally recognized auditing standard developed by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). A SAS 70 audit represents that a service organization has been through an in-depth audit of their control activities, which generally include controls over information technology and related processes.